About David Lewis
David has over 20 years experience in portfolio management and financial markets.
In mid 2021 he stepped down from a senior role in the investment industry, to embark on a new path. Since then he has been focussed on parenting, as well as retraining, research and consulting (both paid and voluntary) relating to sustainable finance.
His passion lies in responsible investment which has the potential to be a critical enabler of positive change in Aotearoa’s economy.
David is currently back at university deepening these skills (see
• Anthropocene Fixed Income Institute - Research Director, Asia
AFII is a non-profit think tank/research body whose mission is to empower fixed income markets to drive the global climate transition at speed and scale. I’m working with the team to deliver Asia-focused fixed income research, and am helping deliver AFII’s global insights to investors in the region.
I started this role in December 2023. Given this work, I currently have limited time for other projects in Aotearoa.
• Stewardship Code Aotearoa New Zealand - Chair (current)
• Purpose Capital - Consultant (2023, 3 months)
Working with the team in Tauranga on impact investment opportunities and investor outreach.
Milford Asset Management
• Deputy Chief Investment Officer 2015-2021
• Portfolio Manager 2013-2021 for a range of funds, focussing on absolute return income strategies across bonds, shares and derivatives, both locally and internationally
• Managed Milford’s $3bn+ Diversified Income Fund from 2017-21. This was the largest managed fund in NZ* at the time outside of Kiwisaver. It was rated Silver / 5 star by Morningstar**, an independent rating provider
• Strong investment results. All of the funds David managed were ranked number one for returns during his tenure in relevant peer groups, as assessed in independent surveys^
• Internal leadership and investment governance roles
* Excluding cash funds
** 5 star represents top 10% of funds based on historic performance, see here for details. Silver is a qualitative rating. Around 20% of funds are typically rated Silver, and 5-10% are Gold. See here for more information.
^Details available on request
• Earlier in his career, David worked overseas for 12 years in Sydney and London in research and investment roles for BT Funds and Merrill Lynch.
• At Merrill, he was a Senior Director and managed various teams producing published research in corporate credit markets. He also worked in proprietary investments.
Master of Studies in Sustainability Leadership – University of Cambridge, UK. 2022-2024.
Certificate in Arts (NZ history and te reo) AUT
Master of Commerce (Finance with Accounting) University of Sydney
Bachelor of Commerce (Economics) University of Canterbury
CFA Certificate in ESG Investing